Wednesday, November 3, 2010

This Is Halloween


Last weekend was so much fun. At school, my kids could hardly contain their excitement. We played a "game" where none of us could say the words Halloween, costume, or party before lunch. One student came up to me during seatwork time and said, "Mrs. Scoresby, I can't stop thinking about the secret words! They just keep distracting me!" I empathized and just told him to do his best to put it out of his mind for a little longer. He walked to his desk with his fingers pressed to his temples and his eyes squeezed tight against the beckoning thoughts of candy and Halloween costumes. It was the cutest thing.

I love how even their faces got into character--and trust me, no one had to ask.

We had several activity stations that the kids rotated through for the party. They painted pumpkins, did a foam pumpkin craft, danced the "Hooky Spooky," mummified themselves in toilet paper, played Halloween games, and balanced eyeballs on spoons. We sang Halloween songs and read spooky stories. As if that weren't enough excitement, they gulped down entire cups of soda pop and big sugar cookies before walking in our school's costume parade. I can't remember having more fun at school!

Saturday night, Betsy hosted her Second Annual Halloween Party at the Scoresby's. It was even better than last year.

Giselle and Tyson (her boyfriend) came up for it. Giselle was so excited to see September, her adopted niece. I love this picture of them!

We decorated all day. We carved an entire bin of pumpkins in one afternoon--and the results were stunning.


Jason hefted this 150 lb. pumpkin all the way across the yard behind him, and we turned it into a mummy.


Betsy and Justin made this amazing scarecrow-vampire.
Justin, Daniel, and Shawn masterminded two pumpkin totem poles.

Jason and I brought 70 severed fingers and toes for party food. Delicious and disturbing.

Jason and I went as Bonnie and Clyde. I'm trying to think of what we could be next year that requires Jason to wear the same suit....Isn't he handsome?

Betsy and Justin dressed as Ben and Dorcus from Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (underwear scene), and little September is a fairy princess. (Betsy made the wings!)


My favorite costume of the night is definitely the Hillbillies--Shawn and Jessy.

For the first activity, we performed hilarious "Un-Talents." We girls won the trophy for a mesmerizing interpretive dance to "I Put a Spell on You."


After the show, we had another round of "Disco King." If you haven't had the honor of participating, I'm so sorry. I look forward to it every year. Jason was just one person away from being crowned King, but Shayann took the prize.

It was such a fun weekend! I wonder where we'll be next Halloween. Louisville? Omaha? Phoenix? L.A.? I hope not L.A.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Oh how fun! I wish so badly that would could have come! As much fun as it was to see my dad, parties like that are just irreplaceable. The pics are great.