Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins

These are really yummy!  The original recipe came from www.thefloweringdogwood.com, and I just made a few changes.  She created the recipe to imitate some from Starbucks.  I have never been in a Starbucks, so I can't tell you how close they are to the real thing, but they look the same. The original recipe didn't sweeten the cream cheese at all, but I didn't like that very much, so I added some powdered sugar to the second batch.  They are very yummy and fall-festive--delicious with a hot cup of cocoa.  I made the mistake of leaving them on the counter all day, and Jason ate five of them while I was at school.

Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon  (I didn’t have anything but nutmeg and cinnamon, so I just added lots of cinnamon.)
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cloves
4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 pinch cardamom
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
2 cups pumpkin
1 1/4 cups vegetable oil   (Next time I am going to exchange apple sauce or yogurt for half of the oil.)
Chocolate chips (optional) (Not in original recipe, but Starbucks should seriously consider it.)
Chopped  pecans (optional)

8 ounces cream cheese
Powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Makes 24 muffins.

Cream Cheese Filling
1.     Blend cream cheese with about 1/2-1 c. of powdered sugar--just enough to give the cream cheese a hint of sweetness.
2.   Put the all of the cream cheese on a piece of wax paper or parchment paper and shape it into a long log.
3.   Put it in the freezer while you mix and fill the pans (up to one hour).

Muffins
1.     Mix dry ingredients together.
2.   In another bowl, mix eggs, oil, and pumpkin.
3.   Add the wet ingredients to the dry mixture.  Mix until just combined.
4.   Fill muffin tins 1/2 to 2/3 full.
5.   Unwrap and slice cream cheese log with a sharp knife so each cream cheese disk equals 1-2 teaspoons.  If they are too big around, cut thick slices and then cut them in half.  Put cream cheese disc in the middle of each muffin, pressing it down.  It doesn't go under the batter.
6.   Sprinkle each muffin with 1 tsp chopped nuts.
7.   Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean from the muffin part.
8.   Let cool in pans for 5 minutes, then remove to racks to cool completely.  

2 comments:

Kate said...

You've never been in a Starbucks? That's incredible! I'm presently at Starbucks... for my third coffee date of the day. Personally, I prefer local coffeehouses to Starbucks, but it's so darn convenient and predictable! This treat looks quite tasty!

meghan & jason said...

It's not that much of an accomplishment since I don't drink coffee. :) You'll have to try the recipe and the Starbucks version and tell me they're anything like each other. Enjoy your dates!