Sunday, March 20, 2011

Lesson Learned

Yesterday I had the opportunity to attend a morningside with Wendy Nelson and Sherri Dew.  It was wonderful.  Sister Nelson (Elder Russell M. Nelson's wife) said we need to infuse our lives with holiness.  At first, I wondered if I'd done the right thing in going to this meeting, because I came to be uplifted, not to have something else added to my list of inadequacies.  Thankfully, though, she suggested we choose one thing each day to do with holiness, or as a holy woman would do it.  That sounded reasonable, and she made it clear that's enough to get us closer to the spirit and feeling happier, so I wouldn't need to try being holy all the time.  I decided to try this, and the pattern I see already is that just by consecrating that one moment of my day to the Lord, I feel like I did something meaningful that day.  This morning, I got ready for church like I thought a holy woman would.  I envisioned myself doing it like my mom did while I was growing up--church music playing, waking up early enough to not be in a hurry, letting things that I could take personally just roll off my back.  I found myself biting my tongue a couple times instead of saying a biting remark to my husband.  After the initial disappointment in not getting to have the last word (I know this is really awful of me), it felt really good. Amazingly, we arrived to church 5 minutes early (rarely happens), and I had the awareness to notice a new couple behind us and the guts and time to introduce myself.  We ended up sitting by them for the next three hours and making friends.  All of this happened just because I decided to get ready for the day with holiness.  This has helped me see the Lord's hand in my day and notice the blessings he's given me for trying to be a little better. 

During Relief Society, the teacher read some notes from five or six anonymous women in the room sharing their worries and fears.  One sister said she worries about helping her son who was just diagnosed with ADHD and what she'll do when her husband is away from their family for two months. Another woman said she feels alone and different from everyone since struggling with breast cancer. An elderly woman said she's afraid of being a lonely shut-in for the rest of her life.  There were others, but all of them shared real, honest, valid fears and concerns.  I knew right away what I would write if she'd handed me a paper.  I want to be a mother more than anything, but no matter what we do, it hasn't happened yet. It's completely out of our control, which drives me crazy.  If I know just what I'd write, then I'm sure every other woman in that room knew exactly what they would write.  I have to be more friendly and reach out to others.  This proved to me that no matter how perfect and happy others' lives may seem, everyone has fears and unfulfilled dreams.  We all need each other and our Savior to get through the rough times.  Like Sherri Dew said yesterday, there is power in us to bless and heal others.  That's what Relief Society is for.

4 comments:

Allison said...

I've been checking your blog, hoping to see a new post! Thanks for sharing your honest feelings about the things you learned today. And I want you to know that I always thought you were very friendly--you truly made me feel welcome from the first Sunday I met you!

Shannon said...

What a beautiful post, Meghan. I feel uplifted just from reading it. It also made me miss you. Ryan got the linguistics job he was hoping for, so we'll be spending a year in California, starting this summer. Are you guys still thinking of heading that way?

meghan & jason said...

Congratulations for getting that job! Where in California is it? We could go there, but Jason was just accepted to a school in South Jordan also, so we might end up there instead. I hope you're feeling happy. I know it must be tough to make so many changes and live with so many uncertainties.

Whitney said...

I saw your comment on ldsinfertility, and so I wanted to pop over and say hi. I really enjoyed your post. What a profound object lesson. It is easy to forget that we don't know everyone's hidden sorrows. And sometimes when I pause and look at the struggles of those around me I think, "Ok, we can deal with infertility. This I can handle." Thanks so much for your beautiful words! It is comforting to me to know that there are others out there like us! You're a great example.