Tuesday, March 22, 2011

C.S. Lewis is Amazing

The Last Battle (Chronicles of Narnia, #7)The Last Battle by C.S. Lewis


My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Reading this book was a spiritual experience. The first chapter introduced into Narnia priestcraft and a ridiculous but powerful anti-Christ. This quickly resulted in separating the true followers of Aslan from those who were "for themselves". Even when the lie of the anti-Christ was revealed, the seeds of mistrust and doubt had been sown. I saw more clearly why some people nowadays struggle so much to accept Christianity in any form. They realize that one form is a hoax, and they're either resentful of being tricked or afraid of putting their faith in something else that might turn out to be manufactured by a self-serving fake. I kept waiting for everything to turn out right again in Narnia, but that's not how it works at the end of a world. That part is scary. The ending is not just temporary happiness, though. It's everlasting--and for most, it holds the promise of always moving "onward and upward" into greater happiness and a more pure reality. I am astounded at how much C.S. Lewis understood about the gospel and how clearly he taught it to me through my experiences in Narnia--especially in this book. The last 40 or 50 pages helped me understand and experience the temple and three degrees of glory more than anything else I've read. Instead of picturing the three degrees of glory as three separate worlds, now I picture one beautiful place where only those who allow themselves to see it can. There are those like the dwarves who will never move past the gateway, taste more than rotting apples, or see more than darkness. There are those honest-hearted who are surprised they're there with Aslan, though they had devoted their lives to serving another god. Those and other pure-hearted will forever move on into what is higher and happier and more REAL. I highly recommend this book. It was truly enlightening.




View all my reviews

3 comments:

Shannon said...

I haven't read this book in a few years. Looks like it's time for me to go back and read it again. This was one that I had a hard time understanding when I was little and my mom read them all to us; when I got older and began looking beyond the basic storyline it made a lot more sense. I love C.S. Lewis. Have you read "Till We Have Faces?" One of my all-time favorite books, and the one that Lewis himself considered his best work of fiction.

meghan & jason said...

I haven't read that. Thanks for the recommendation! I need another book to read!

Allison said...

I love this series as well! I need to reread it again. It's always neat for me to read all the books and finish with the last one and feel as you did when you were done.

I received your email, and, as you can tell, I'm a bit of an email slacker. Sometimes I let them sit and simmer for a while so I have some interesting happenings to write about. It's a good way to be email pen pals :)