Friday, May 20, 2011

Goodbye, Goodbye

Goodbye, goodbye!
It's time to go.
Goodbye, goodbye.
I don't wanna go!

This is how our goodbye song starts, and I think this was the first day I agreed with the last line.  We sang it every day before going out to the buses.  My kids sang it to me for the last time today at school. I couldn't sing with them, of course, because I was too busy trying to not cry more than necessary. These are my kids. They're the only ones I've got, and I love them.  We had such a great year together.  Not every day was perfect by any means, but boy we had fun.  I made a point to just enjoy our last day together.  We worked for the first hour and a half, but then we watched Toy Story.  During the credits it played "You've Got A Friend in Me."  I told them to listen to the words, and everyone was silent.  Their smiles turned downwards, though, probably mostly from seeing their teacher sad, so after that song we livened it up a bit.  I played their favorite "dance party" song and let them sing and dance as loud as they wanted to "Alabama, Mississippi " (while eating popsicles--what more could a first grader ask for?)  It's a silly, pointless song, but for some reason they love it.  I wish I could post the picture I took of them dancing.  It was so cute.  We boogied for a couple more songs and then lined up to leave and they sang the goodbye song for me.  They all gave me a hug--a few with tears in their eyes, and all of them telling me they'd miss me and that they loved me.  That just made me less able to speak, so I just hugged tighter.  They know I love them.

You know what always made my day, even though it's a completely normal, simple mistake kids make?  When they call me "mom" and even "grandma."  What a compliment.  I miss them already.

4 comments:

Katie Abernathy Hoyos said...

What a hard day! I'm sure your kids are so grateful for everything you've taught them, and not just the academic things, but the kindness they've learned from your example. It's wonderful to know you have really made an impact for the better in their lives, and chances are they'll remember that forever.

Leslie Scoresby said...

Meghan,
What a wonderful teacher you must be. I am always so grateful when my children, and now my grandchildren, have teachers who teach because they love the children. You will make such a difference to all of these kids and their learning to love learning!
Thanks for sharing!
Love you,
Aunt Leslie

Allison said...

How cute they sometimes call you "mom" or "grandma"--that is so sweet. They were so lucky to have you!

Halo BW said...

Oh my, I cried while read this!

https://www.plazarealcariari.com/2021/01/pinjaman-online-ojk.html